Colloquium: Building the Killer App for Mapping Bacterial Metabolism

Sharon Gould seg5 at calvin.edu
Tue Apr 29 15:41:19 EDT 2014

At this week's computer science colloquium, Matthew DeJongh, from Hope College, will be the guest presenter.

Title:  Building the Killer App for Mapping Bacterial Metabolism

Abstract:  Software applications like Google Maps and Mapquest have replaced static paper maps by providing dynamic visualizations that can display real-time information such as traffic levels, sites of interest, and fastest route to destination. In the same, computer models of bacterial metabolism are replacing the ubiquitous biochemical pathway posters that hang in biology labs. In this talk, I will describe the progress we have made in automating the generation of metabolic pathways from sequenced bacterial genomes, and the prospects for using real-time information about gene expression levels to improve the predictive value of genome-scale metabolic models.

Please join us on Thursday, May 1, in SB 110, at 3:30 p.m.  Refreshments served.