Spring Break trip to Colorado to do programming for missions

Victor Norman vtn2 at calvin.edu
Wed Jan 18 11:31:51 EST 2017

Students,

A missions organization, LightSys, invites groups of students from Christian colleges to come to Colorado Springs, CO, during their spring break to do their "Code-a-thon".  During this time, students work in teams with professionals, building real apps, programs, tools, etc., for use by real missions organizations.

We have sent a group in the past, and, as far as I could tell, everyone had a great time, and did good work.  Please note that you do NOT have to be super-experienced in coding to participate and contribute.  Even students who have done CS108 and are in CS112 at the time can contribute.

LightSys came to Calvin to recruit during the fall semester, and at that time about 8 students signed up for more information.  At this time, only 2 or 3 have committed to going, with the others deciding not to go.  We would like to get our numbers up to 6 or 7 to make the trip worthwhile.

Can you please think and pray about joining the team to go?  Note that the cost is minimal -- much less than other Calvin-sponsored Spring Break trips.  And, there will be money available to help defer the costs.

If you are interested or have more questions, please contact Andrew Corum (amc49 at students.calvin.edu).  There is a deadline in a few weeks, so we need to get more signed up soon!

Thanks.

Prof. Victor Norman
Computer Science
Calvin College
vtn2 at calvin.edu<mailto:vnorman at calvin.edu>
-----
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- Antoine de Saint Exupéry