Programming Competition

Abstraction Club abstraction at calvin.edu
Thu Mar 22 10:24:28 EDT 2018

Hello all,

There is an opportunity for an online programming competition coming up on
April 7th, hosted by Taylor University. Here are the details:

* You may enter any number of teams.  Each team can have up to 3
  undergraduates.

* We will have three divisions this year: main, introductory, and novice.
  There are no restrictions for the main division, but the other two
  have slightly different restrictions.

  An introductory team cannot have members that have previously
  participated in a formal programming contest, but the team members can
  have any level of schooling.  All introductory teams will also
  participate in the main contest.

  A novice team cannot have members that have completed more than two
  semesters of programming courses.  In other words, the members can
  either be enrolled in CS1 or CS2 at the time of the contest.  All
  novice teams will also participate in the main contest.  I'm
  assuming that most novice teams will participate in the introductory
  contest since most schools don't put these students in their ACM
  contests, but I do know of exceptions.

* The competition will start as close to 10:00 EDT as possible.  The
  contest will begin with a short practice session (45 minutes)
  followed by a debriefing to make sure everyone is ready for the full
  contest.  If everything goes as it should, the official contest will
  begin at 11:00 EDT and last for 4 hours.

* Programming languages offered will be C, C++, Java, and Python.  We
  currently have the following versions installed on our server: gcc
  6.4.0 (using C++14), python 3.4.5, and java 1.6.0_15.  All judging
  will take place in a UNIX environment.

* The contest will consist of 6-8 problems.  The problem difficulty
  will range from quite easy so that the novice teams can complete 1-2
  to fairly difficult.

* The judging will be automatic with human in the loop to confirm
  judgements.  The possible responses are:

  1) compilation error
  2) run-time error
  3) exceeds allowable run time
  4) formatting error (correct answer, but does not meet output
     specifications)
  5) incorrect
  6) unknown file type (can't determine which compiler to use from
     file name)
  7) forbidden word in source (cannot have code that accesses the
     judging system; e.g., networking, file systems, etc.)
  8) correct

If you are interested in participating, email Prof. Norman (vtn2 at calvin.edu
).

Jesse Kuntz
President of Abstraction
CompSci Major / Mathematics Minor
Calvin College
--
[Club Website] <http://abs.calvin.edu/>
[Subreddit] <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__abstraction.reddit.com_&d=DwIBaQ&c=4rZ6NPIETe-LE5i2KBR4rw&r=RETd07_84AAWNHy3_XnGfu607BBOainWRNg8YFxnWIU&m=nowUnEtI9rF94aEoI2og3dOuJuKLNkwK7CtDlJKqiCY&s=39o8n6uO_8lpb9saCu7f1xR-9txOkifDfM-GU0qh4B8&e=>

A B S T R A C T I O N