Abstraction events NEXT WEEK

Sharon Gould seg5 at calvin.edu
Fri Sep 6 10:50:43 EDT 2019

Here are the events hosted by the CS student club Abstraction next week, September 9-13.

  *   9/12 Thursday, 6-8:30 pm, DC 170: Misec - picoCTF
     *   This is not Abstraction specific but something that CCDI(Calvin College Defense Initiative), which is a security group that is associated with Abstraction created by the infosec team in CIT, wanted to let students know.
     *   This event is hosted by Misec, a security group in Michigan. It is a CTF, capture the flag, where students can hack to solve problems and win prizes. Although the event itself is intended for middle/high school students, CCDI wants to get some students together to participate in the event, in Devos Center 170. Of course, anyone can participate online as well.
  *   9/13 Friday, 7:00 pm, SB 382: Development Setup Workshop
     *   The event is targeted towards underclassmen who are taking 108/112 or anyone who wants to learn how to customize their own development environments. I would like upperclassmen volunteers who might help out the underclassmen during this workshop, but I want to be subtle about it because they might also want to just see what happens.
     *   I will be giving a brief overview of their basic options for setting up their environment on their computers and give them the opportunity and help to select and actually get the stuff set up.
     *   This session will prepare new folks with future Abstraction events.
  *   Sometime next week: CCDI Introduction
     *   The CCDI team (CIT infosec team: Jared and John) would like to introduce themselves to anyone interested in security and hacking (white hat). They will introduce the purpose of their group and activities they plan on doing.
>From Eun Chan Park

Sharon Gould
Administrative Assistant
Department of Computer Science