TODAY'S Colloquium talk

Sharon Gould seg5 at calvin.edu
Tue Mar 31 09:38:40 EDT 2015

Zach Kurmas from GVSU will be speaking today on “Community Detection Algorithms”.

Here is his abstract:  Social networks such as Facebook can be represented by a graph where the vertices are people, and the edges represent a relationship between two people (e.g., friendship).  "Community Finding" is the process of identifying communities in a social network based on the graph's link structure. The most common community finding algorithms are heuristics: Instead of finding the optimal solution, they attempt to find a reasonable solution in a reasonable amount of time.

This talk will
* Provide an overview of community finding
* List a couple practical applications of community finding
* Present a brute-force algorithm for community finding
* Discuss how we hope to use the results of our brute-force algorithm to improve the quality of current community finding heuristics.

Colloquium will be held today in SB 010, beginning at 3:30.  Light refreshments will be available beginning 3:20 p.m.