CANCELLED: Movie Night

Joel Adams adams at calvin.edu
Thu Dec 6 12:12:42 EST 2018

Hi Quentin,

Sorry to hear the bad news.

For future reference, I know of two ways to avoid the commercial license restriction:

1. Design the session as an educational event, which happens to include a movie showing.  You typically need a professor to make this kind of room reservation, and the professor needs to hold some educational activity during the session (e.g., a discussion afterward).  We did this last year for our “Bias in the Workplace” session, where we showed the movie “Hidden Figures” and then held a panel discussion in which local tech-industry women shared their workplace experiences.  According to the SAO folks, this qualifies as fair use of a normal DVD.

2. Hold the movie showing in someone’s (e.g., a professor’s) house.  DVDs purchased under the normal license can be freely shown in someone’s home, regardless of the size of the group watching it.  The challenge is to find a place with a screen and seating big enough to accommodate the group.  I know of one prof who held an Interim course at his house using this approach; course enrollment was limited to 9 students because that’s all the seating he had.  Depending on how many students you’d expect, you might be able to follow this approach at our house, Norman’s house, Schuurman’s house, Plantinga’s (new) house, etc.

-Joel.